Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Frankensandy

I have never been through a hurricane.  Through the magic of media, however, I have witnessed the effects of an hurricane.  Being all nice and cozy in Ohio as Katrina hit the Gulf Coast and seeing its terrible aftermath left me filling sick.  "Surely there is something we can do.  Can't we get down there to help?" 

I first heard of Katrina several days before it hit land.  I was on vacation. Valerie and I went to a mega church on Sunday morning for worship.  The pastor was all over Katrina: "They are saying its going to be a big one."  I remember thinking, "they always say that."  That time they were sure right.  Katrina still defines so much of what New Orleans is about, even today. 

Before I knew her as Hurricane Sandy, I knew this hurricane as "Frankenstorm."  A headline in the Tribune several days ago said that this "Frankenstorm" might be another "Perfect Storm" for the Northeast.  They made a movie about the Perfect Storm.  The media was all ready to make another one with Sandy... A Halloween horror. 

As the storm is now hitting the east my prayers have been with the people out there.  It is a frighting, devastating event.  Already lives have been lost.  God is walking with the people.  May they find courage and strength as they work together to get through. 

A week from today we will have an election in America.  I wonder what impact this storm will have.  Maybe none... maybe a world of impact.  Do storms like this move us to depend more on our leaders, or do they put things like elections in perspective?  Leadership means standing courageously for what you believe... even in the face of life's storms.  Even when it looks like all is lost, a leader will stand tall and inspire a people to the possibilities that lie ahead.

Faith in Christ leads us into a world of possibilities.  He stands with us in our struggles.  Christ suffers because we suffer.  He also strengthens us to stand tall, to reach out, and to step forward in faith.  So many prayers are being lifted up for just that kind of strength and guidance for what we face as a people over the next week.       

No comments: