Saturday, May 24, 2008

A Smart Worm Stays in the Dirt

I just got back from spending three days fishing with my dad and brother in Kentucky. What a great time it was. The weather was great, the boat didn't sick, my brother caught 30 largemouth bass (we catch and release), and I had on the end of my line a giant catfish we now refer to as Captain Kirk (he released himself). We were reeling in so many fish we had to take good look around a few times to make sure we actually were on Lake Barkley and not inside the Shedd Aquarium.

There were times on Wednesday I immediately had a nibble on my bait the moment I cast my line out in the water. My bobber would instantly start moving up and down because little bluegills were nibbling on my red worm or nightcrawler. This posed a bit of a challenge because these guys were so tiny that when I pulled on the line I often wasn't able to hook them. All that was left of my bait was either some pieces of worm or just a bare hook. I thought, "it's a good thing worms stay in the dirt, because they sure don't last long in the water."

Being out on the lake for three days reminded me of Jesus' words of wisdom in the Sermon on the Mount found in Matthew: "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life (Matt 6:25-27)?"

On the boat I tried to imagine the scene below the surface of the water. It must have been amazing with fish of all sizes (catfish, bluegills, minnows, sunfish, bass, and many more) all swimming around eating all kinds of stuff... even each other. What I could see above the surface was also quite amazing: geese, turtles, cranes, and even an eagle, never too happy with our presence. But until we arrived next them on our boat they all seemed to stand as still as a statue just waiting to for their chance to pick from the seafood buffet. Not as disturbed by us were the three deer we saw relaxing just before dusk or the pair of foxes walking leisurely near the shore.

I was reminded of two realities about God's creation last week: it outshines anything a human could ever construct and it is a dangerous place. All of the creatures we encountered were involved in trying to survive. The fish took our bait because they were looking for food. The birds waited patiently along the shore waiting for lunch. Only the deer and foxes seemed to be taking life easy, but I'm sure dinner was not too far from their minds.

Things are pretty dangerous for the birds, fish and animals, but our lives are dangerous too. While we may not worry about where our next meal will come from, or whether something wants to eat us, there is plenty to worry about nonetheless. Can I pay all my bills? Are my children safe? Do I need to cancel vacation this summer? Will my loved one beat cancer?

Spending some time in the wild can remind you how pointless it is to worry. The fish, birds and animals work together in a constant give and take of life and death. You would think they would be frozen in fear, but instead they just live. Humans are called to just live as well, but not in a selfish way. A wise person lives life as a refection of faith... the very faith that gives us permission to stop worrying and start living. Jesus tells us to live by striving "first for the kingdom of God and his righteousness." Your food, drink, and clothing will come... therefore spend your time living as a disciple: serving Christ and the kingdom. Instead of worrying, try loving. Instead of living in fear, live in hope. Instead hording, look for opportunities to serve "and all of these things will be given to you as well. So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own. Today's trouble is enough for today (Matt 6:33b-34)."

No comments: