Friday, April 03, 2015

I Will Cling to the Old Rugged Cross

This week I encountered the classic hymn, The Old Rugged Cross, at just the place and time I needed its message.

On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
the emblem of suff'ring and shame;
and I love that old cross where the Dearest and Best
for a world of lost sinners was slain. 

Refrain:
So I'll cherish the old rugged cross,
till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
and exchange it someday for a crown.

Oh, that old rugged cross, so despised by the world,
has a wondrous attraction for me;
for the dear Lamb of God left his glory above
to bear it to dark Calvary.

In that old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine,
a wondrous beauty I see,
for 'twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died,
to pardon and sanctify me.

To the old rugged cross I will ever be true;
it's shame and reproach gladly bear;
then he'll call me someday to my home far away,
where his glory forever I'll share.

The line that speaks to me this week comes from the refrain: "So I'll cherish the old rugged cross till my trophies as last I lay down." What a tight grip I have on my trophies. I love my things, my pleasures...my tastes and believes about the world. With all my might I hold on to that which I believe gives me joy and meaning... even as it drains the life from of me.

Lord, help me surrender. Move my heart and my hands to lay my trophies down upon the foot or your cross. Inspire me to answer your call to follow. As you aligned yourself to human suffering and death on the cross, guide me to align my vision and values, my priorities and passions, and my whole life to you. Help me cling to the old rugged cross.  Amen.

No comments: