Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Crosstown Classic

After being rained out last night the Cubs and the White Sox have gotten their annual "Crosstown Classic" on the way this afternoon. With two games this week, three games next week, and a make up for yesterday's rain out in September: the Sox and Cubs will play six games to determine who is the best ball club in Chicago.

Since the beginning of Interleague Play in 1997 the Cubs and Sox have played a total of 66 games with each team winning half. And if you count the total number of runs they have scored the Sox are winning by only 3 (if you include the two they have scored through six innings today). All it will take is a four-run Cub rally to turn that all-time total around.

Bottom line: its close. Baseball plays out that way. Your up one day your down the next. You finish a six-game losing streak just in time to start a five-game winning streak. A career .300 hitter is bound to pull his .222 average up before September. It just works out that way.

There's a whole lot of emotion expressed by fans in this series. And there have been stories in the past of violent confrontations. No doubt fueled by the beverages served at the fine establishments in Wrigleyville and Bridgeport. But ultimately, this frustrating game is all about enjoying yourself really... and a good rivalry is all in fun. Sox and Cub fans can watch the games together... maybe not in peace... but in a way that brings plenty of laughter and smiles to go with the occasional tear.

In my life I have been proud to wear my Michigan sweatshirt among a room full of Buckeye fans I have called my friends. I have worn a Breat Favre jersey while being outnumbered by Viking and Bear fans. I have cheered for my Brewers sitting 10 rows up from the Cubs dugout in Wrigley Field... And while the sounds of a sea of Cubs fans singing "Go Cubs Go" after Prince Fielder struck out to end the game made my stomach ache at the time, I look back at it now and thank God for the fun night I had.

Cubs fans... Sox fans... let's have some fun and enjoy the great game of baseball.

No comments: