Tuesday, April 01, 2008

God Undoes the Veil


Tonight I led my first Bible study on the Book of Revelation. There is so much I learn in the course of studying and teaching a book of Scripture to a small group. While I do bring important facts and information to the group as the leader, I do not come to the table with the sole purpose of bestowing the answers to others. We journey through the book together. We grow together. They learn from me and I learn from them. Which is why I'm so excited about this new study. I know I will come out of this four month adventure changed. Through God's Spirit truth will be revealed... and that's exciting to anticipate.

The Book of Revelation seems to need a lot of revealing for us to understand. The word revelation comes from the Latin word revelatio which literally means "to undo the veil." What has been hidden is being revealed. Underneath the monsters, beasts, scrolls, and seals of Revelation is truth about God. I can read about the meanings of symbols on my own. I can study about the different ways to interpret Revelation. But something happens when you journey through a book together with ten other people. Insights are gained. People with different points-of-view ask questions you would never have asked and reveal insights you would never have valued on your own. By the end you prayerfully and lovingly grow in faith together. Its an amazing adventure and one of my favorite blessings of Christian community.

Little by little God will undo the veil of Revelation through study, reading, and prayer. The power of God's Spirit will also be expressed through the friends you journey with. Back to back opening days! God is good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.