Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Get Out the Radio

My favorite football team is the Green Bay Packers. When you are born in Wisconsin you are born with cheese in your blood, brats on your mind, and a love for all things green and gold.

The Packers play their biggest regular season game in years tomorrow night at Dallas. The game will be televised on the NFL Network. I don't get the NFL Network in my home. Neither do millions of viewers across the country. Packer fans in many areas of Wisconsin and Cowboy fans in most of Texas will not be able to watch the game in their homes.

While I can't say I have heard the voices of too many disgruntled fans. I have read several articles about the war of words going on between the NFL Network and "Big Cable" (the cable companies). The NFL calls Big Cable greedy because put their channel on the cable package that reaches the most customers. Big Cable says they are being hijacked and will not pay the huge amounts of money the NFL demands. Bottom line: I don't get to watch the game.

It's funny... I don't feel all that upset about not being able to see the game. Actually, the whole thing reminds me that the NFL and the Packers are a game and a business. If they won't show me their product I'm not going to buy in. And besides, I have sat through too many miserable Packer games where they tear my heart out and blowing a game they should have easily won. That's the last thing I need to suffer through tomorrow night. (See how optimistic I am.)

Putting things in the proper perspective is a great help to me. It's a gift of my faith. Oh I still may pull out the radio and listen. And I will grumble if three or four interceptions cost them the game. But maybe, just maybe, I won't let all of that prevent me from embracing the blessings of the day.

No comments: