Saturday, June 09, 2007

Gone Fishin


Tomorrow morning, bright and early, I'm leaving for a fishing trip. It will be the first time I've gone fishing for nearly twenty years, and boy am I overdue. But I'm not going for myself. My dad is the reason I'm heading out for the fishin hole.

My dad turns 60 this month and my brother and I wanted to do something special for him. We have never been a much of a family for surprise parties or big celebrations for every significant milestone, but Aaron and I thought that should change this year. We decided to do something for dad that he would want to do. We wanted to do something that the Dusso men (who live thousands of miles apart) can do together, can be rest for all of us, and be done in honor of him. A fishing trip seemed like the perfect fit.

Now I know what you are expecting... Now I should say a few words about the "fishin" I have done for my other Father the past twenty years. I should make the connection between honoring my dad with honoring my Lord. Yeah I suppose that would work, but that's way too obvious. That's just too predictable.

Instead the next few days is for Dick Dusso. He is my dad and I love him. And let me tell you, without the love and support he has given to me the past 34 years I wouldn't be fishing for anything today. For bass... for men... or for diapers. What a blessing from God my dad has been for me. So this week's for my dad. This trip is our way of saying "thanks."

Fair warning: Don't come looking for me. I've gone fishing with my dad. I'll be back in a few days.

No comments: