Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Looking For Control; Finding Peace


Looking for Control; Finding Peace

It's been said, "Never say never,"but I believe it's safe for me to say that I will never get a tattoo. I have no interest at all in marking my body in such a way. And yet there are thousands, if not millions, of Americans my age and younger who have gotten tattooed or will have their body tattooed.

A show on cable about a tattoo shop called "Miami Ink" has cashed in on the popularity of both tattoos and "reality TV." At first glance I didn't like the show. After all, I'm never going to get a tattoo. But after a few viewings, I've changed by tune about "Miami Ink." A typical show will follow the turbulent lives of the artists who work at the store. Injected into the continuous storyline about the artists are always two or three stories about the patrons of the studio. Some of these teen and twenty-somethings come to Miami Ink as a right of passage... making a choice to mark their bodies as an expression of who they are and what they want to be known as. But most come to the studio with a heavy heart. For example a young woman may ask for a tattoo in honor of her grandmother who died a month ago or a man may come in looking to have the name of his daughter tattooed on him to replace the name of his ex who dumped him a year ago.

Often the tattoo artists serve as priests for their customers. In the process of creating the design and then doing the actual tattoo work they listen to the concerns and sorrows of those they serve. At times it can be quite moving. And the patrons always leave the shop with a sense of peace... relieved... as if they had been touched by grace.

"Miami Ink" reminds me that there are so many people in our communities who are hurting and hungering for spiritual relief. For many the tattoo studio has become a source of relief; a place where they can for a moment take control of their lives by controlling a word or drawing on their body. I wonder how long the grace found in a tattoo lasts.

I believe that lasting grace can best be found in Jesus. I also believe Christian churches in the United States do not do a good of a job reaching out to the "Miami Ink" crowd, children of God searching for joy and peace.

What lessons can we learn from the pastoral care tattoo artists give to their customers?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.