Thursday, August 03, 2006


Hot or Cold?

It's summer, so of course it's hot. But it just seems like its been a little too hot for a little too long. Unfortunately, I need to mow my lawn, and a break in this heat doesn't seen to be coming.

Last night on TV a local news report showed clips from a snow storm that hit this area back in January. They then posed this question: "Which would you prefer, this summer's heat or the cold and snow of the winter?" I had to think about that one for a while. Certainly in January I was itching for some really hot days and of course now a good blizzard sounds wonderful. But I think my faith led me to come up with an completely different answer.

Life, like weather temperatures, has many ups and downs. During those times of stress and difficulty we like to complain and wish for something better. Psalms of lament give us permission to lift our complaints to God. But what I learn from those laments is that ultimately we only find relief when we realize and affirm the fact that God is in control. When we begin lamenting in Psalm 22 "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? (v.1)" we finish by affirming that hope comes from only from the Lord: "But you, Lord, do not be far from me. You are my strength; come quickly to help me (v. 19)."

A blizzard or heat wave is not the answer. God is our answer. With a faithful heart I look at the blessings of today, try to stay positive, and give thanks to the Lord my God. "They will proclaim his righteousness, declaring to a people yet unborn: He has done it! (Ps 22:31)"

No comments: