Wednesday, March 15, 2006


Finding Joy in God's Word

I'm thinking about the Ten Commandments and Psalm 19 this week. God's commandments in Exodus 20 are a wonderful guide for life. They are abused as a political tool when Christians battle over where they are posted, instead of battling about how to live by them.

In Psalm 19 it says "The law of the Lord is perfect, refreshing the soul. The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple. The precepts of the Lord are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the Lord are radiant, giving light to the eyes." (Ps 19:7-8) Being engaged in God's word and sincerely obeying the Lord's commands is a delight, for it gives meaning to every day and puts into proper perspective all that one encounters from day to day.

Take today for instance. I read panic in a colleague's e-mail as she discussed the bird flu. I felt lost as I tried to straighten out some miscommunication among my friends. I sensed exhaustion as my four-year-old kids have learned to take "pushing the envelope" to new uncharted heights. But through it all the word of God and his commands bring me guidance, peace, and strength. It also says in Psalm 19 that there is great reward in keeping God's law. Those rewards are reaped today as I follow the Lord through this world of chaos.

No comments: