Friday, February 24, 2006


Family

The first verse of Psalm 127 says "Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain."

We live in a society where marriage and families are in crisis. Too many marriages end in divorce. Too many families are broken. Too many people are not part of a loving family. This is a shame because marriage and family can be a great gift. God wants us to live in homes of love and joy.

If we allow the Lord to "build" our house, and be the foundation of our marriages and families, we are blessed. A family centered on the Lord can withstand the ups and downs of life and at the end of the day individuals can look back and see just how rewarding family is.

It's not easy being a husband and a father. I have had to give up so many things I used to do because either there is not enough time or not enough money. I have also been forced to do many things I would rather not be doing. (I still don't enjoy the whole bathroom thing with my kids.) But yet, even so, I know my family is my greatest blessing from God. Why, you ask?

My family has taught me what Jesus has been trying to teach me for 33 years... Real joy in life comes from being selfless and loving other people. I am a better Christian because of them. My faith is stronger because of them. They have also helped me grow from a child into a man. Through them God has given me maturity, responsibility, and meaning. As a selfish child I was lost and alone... But now as a husband and father I have more confidence in myself, knowing just what God has called me to do in this life.

No comments: